photo RSMAtnWebAdRed13.jpg
Category archives for: Lectures

New Realities TV Show Host Comes to San Miguel

Alan Steinfeld

By Henrietta Weekes Alan Steinfeld, host of the New York-based TV series New Realities, will be presented a lecture entitled “UFOs, Crop Circles: True or False?” on Tuesday, March 5 in the Biblioteca. Steinfeld explores such concepts on his long-running program. Currently, he has logged over 3,000 interviews with the most influential thought leaders in [...]

Ser Mujer NGO Celebrates Women’s History Month with Festivities, Films, Lectures

ser_mujer

By Trish Snyder Ser Mujer’s first week of Women’s History Month celebrations starts out with a bang—with a kickoff party, the announcement of our school essay contest winners, a talk on self-esteem to women in the campo, and a film and talk on feminism. On March 1 at Casa Europa, Ser Mujer will put on [...]

Center for Global Justice Hosts Talk on Richmond, California’s Political Shift Leftward

GLOBAL

By Peter Weisberg Once upon a time, near the City by the Bay, a working class community of 100,000, equal parts Latino, African American and white, came together, organized, and after decades of corporate control, defeated the Chevron Corporation and elected a progressive, green mayor and city council. This is no fairytale. On Wedesday, March [...]

Workshop to Introduce Course on Emotional Balance Taking Place at Biblioteca

EMOTIONAL

By Alma Ayón For the first time, an introductory workshop for the “Cultivating Emotional Balance” (CEB) course will take place in San Miguel de Allende. The workshop is an introduction to a 42-hour training course that includes conferences, exercises based on personal experiences, group discussions, and meditation practices. CEB involves two components—the psychological and the [...]

Talk Re-examines 9/11 in the Context of a Neoliberal Crisis

CRISIS

By Betsy Bowman The periodic crises or disruptions that we see in the accumulation and concentration of capital always find solutions. Whether they are good solutions or bad solutions depends upon one’s class position. For the elite 1 percent of the population, it is usually a good solution. For the other 99 percent, it is [...]

Sobreviviendo a la bomba atómica que terminó la segunda guerra mundial—y viviendo para atestiguar por el desarme nuclear

Yasuaki Yamashita

Por Signe Hammer “Cuando la bomba atómica cayó sobre Nagasaki, el 9 de agosto de 1945, yo tenía seis años,” diceYasuaki Yamashita—quien no solo vivió en Nagasaki sino sobrevivió para dar testimonio en la lucha por el desarme nuclear. El martes 19 de febrero a las 6pm en el auditorio de Bellas Artes, contará su [...]

Surviving the Atomic Bomb that Ended World War II—and Living to Testify for Nuclear Disarmament

Yasuaki Yamashita

By Signe Hammer “When the A-Bomb fell on Nagasaki, August 9, 1945, I was six years old,” says Yasuaki Yamashita—who not only lived in Nagasaki but survived to give testimony in the fight for nuclear disarmament. On Tuesday, February 19, Yamashita will tell his story as part of the 2019 San Miguel PEN Winter Lecture [...]

Lecture Will Discuss Misconceptions about Using Medicare While Living in México

MEDICARE images

By Eileen Carafiol, MSW, MBA If a serious medical issue should arise, not being prepared can cost you tens of thousands of dollars. In the US, if we have Medicare, we can just hand over our member card and know that most of the costs will be paid. But what can we do here in [...]

Two-Part Lecture on Twelfth-Century Japanese Collage Comes to Biblioteca

Joan_Hall

By Joan Hall I will be presenting a lecture and slide show on collage and assemblage, ranging from twelfth-century Japanese forms to contemporary American photo illustration, at the Biblioteca on February 22. The use of collage in illustration has become a familiar sight. In this two-part lecture, you will see everything from how artists cope [...]

Lecture at Biblioteca Investigates the International Rise in Populism

While Jon Allen served as Canada’s ambassador to Spain (2010–2016), he watched a surge in right-wing populism occur around him—in Italy, France, the Netherlands, and Austria. There were also left-wing populist manifestations in Greece and Spain. Allen brings that first-hand experience to his Biblioteca lecture, “Populism: Why Now, and Could it Happen Here?” Allen will [...]

 photo RSMAtnWebAdRed13.jpg
 photo RSMAtnWebAdRed13.jpg

Photo Gallery

 photo RSMAtnWebAdRed13.jpg
Log in | Designed by Gabfire themes All original content on these pages is fingerprinted and certified by Digiprove