photo RSMAtnWebAdRed13.jpg

How To Vote From San Miguel


By Barbara Erickson

All across the United States, voters have been turning out in record numbers for midterm primaries and getting ready for the November general midterm elections.

American voters living abroad want to be part of this excitement and should vote. It is a fact that every vote counts, and there will many close races this fall. If you have not already registered to vote in your former state of residence now is the moment to get it done!

Democrats Abroad sponsors a nonpartisan Get Out the Vote effort every election cycle. This summer’s campaign will start on July 28 and run until August 11. We still have places for volunteers to help register voters! Contact Barbara Erickson at if you are interested in joining this important effort.

Registering in any state as an overseas voter requires completing and submitting a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) form. An excellent online site,, makes it quick and easy.

The site is user-friendly. Enter your name and provide some basic personal and contact information and your address. The site generates your completed FPCA and gives you the address for returning your form. After downloading the completed form, you have different options for sending it back, the best one being by email. Postal mail options include using your San Miguel mail forwarding service. If you don’t have one, La Conexión on Aldama 3 will send it to the border and deposit it in the US mail for a small fee. Another option is the US Consular Agent in La Luciernaga, which will pouch it for you to the US. However, these alternatives to online methods take time, so don’t delay!

If you use the online tools, the site will guide you through the process, including how to return your form to the proper registrar of voters in your state. Only Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Louisiana, Puerto Rico, and Vermont will not allow email submissions. Faxing the signed form is another option.

Here are some pointers for answering questions on the FPCA:

Question #1: Who are you? For most expats in San Miguel, the response will be “I am a US citizen living outside the country, and my return is uncertain.”

Question #2: What is your US voting address? This means the last address where you were registered to vote in the US. It does not need to be a current address. If you are not sure about your last voting address, it is where you last lived when you last lived in the US, even if that was thirty years ago—unless you registered in another state when you moved. They do not mail your ballot there.

Question #3: Where are you now? Give the address where you currently live outside the US. If in San Miguel, it is your street address. This shows you have the right to vote from abroad! Use your Mexican address on the outside of the form too!

San Miguel chapter of Democrats Abroad will have volunteers at tables in several venues around town July 28 through August 11. Check back in Atención next week for the times and places.


Comments are closed

 photo RSMAtnWebAdRed13.jpg
 photo RSMAtnWebAdRed13.jpg

Photo Gallery

 photo RSMAtnWebAdRed13.jpg
Log in | Designed by Gabfire themes All original content on these pages is fingerprinted and certified by Digiprove