photo RSMAtnWebAdRed13.jpg

Mobility Affected by Rainfall

By Jesús Aguado

Heavy rains occurred in San Miguel de Allende from September 22 to 27, causing currents that lead to the canceling of classes, evacuation of vendors, and the unity of neighbors for protection.

The current in the Obraje and Cachinches stream started registering higher levels on the morning of September 26. Authorities stated that they were normal. The next day, the level increased, and at 6am Mayor Villarreal posted a notice on Facebook stating that classes in the schools near the banks of the stream would be canceled.

Alan Álvarez Flores granted an interview to Atención at 7:30am and commented that “to prevent material and human losses,” the Civil Protection requested the vendors of Plazas Parián and Guadalupe to evacuate. However, the water did not represent a threat at that time.

Students arrived early morning to schools like CEESA and María del Refugio, but they were sent back home. The students at José Vasconselos School did not show up. At around 7am, the vendors from Plaza Parián and Guadalupe started taking their merchandise out. They Had received the notice to evacuate at 6:30am. They started opening their stands again after noon, when the levels of the current decreased.

At Prolongación de Umarán, the water dragged away alf of the street, and some construction built on federal lands was impacted. The Civil Protection Department and neighbors worked to place a wall made of sacks and sand to prevent destruction of the street by the water.

Part of the construction of the Aqua Hotel was also flooded by the water, just as it was on October 3, 1998, when the emergency services started warning the population living on the banks of the arroyo (stream) that they had to evacuate immediately. Thousands of cubic meters of water were approaching, dragging everything along the way. The dam (made by locals) of the community of Támbula had cracked and could not hold the water anymore.

It was the day of the festivities to honor St. Michael the Archangel.

According to Atención records, the man responsible for the Civil Protection Department at that time, Samuel Mercadillo, stated that there were 12 people injured—two of them by electric shock. The Red Cross reported a dead man and later a woman from San Miguel Viejo, who was dragged and killed by the current when she tried to pull a stove from the stream (read more information in our printed version).


Comments are closed

 photo RSMAtnWebAdRed13.jpg
 photo RSMAtnWebAdRed13.jpg

Photo Gallery

 photo RSMAtnWebAdRed13.jpg
Log in | Designed by Gabfire themes All original content on these pages is fingerprinted and certified by Digiprove