Dams of San Miguel

By Sandra Ríos

The dams of San Miguel store excess rainfall in artificial water reservoirs and subsequently return the water to the rivers. Through a more controlled flow in less busy channels, the rivers are better regulated. The Ignacio Allende Dam, located west of San Miguel and called “La Presa” by most people, adjusts the path of the Río Laja and provides water storage for agricultural purposes. It currently has a capacity of approximately 251 million cubic meters and is visited by locals and foreigners who come together for various recreational and leisure activities.

In addition to the Río Laja, other smaller streams, such as the Cañadita, Atascadero, Las Cachinches, and Obraje, fuel other smaller dams, such as Las Colonias and El Obraje.

El Charco del Ingenio botanical garden and nature reserve contains Las Colonias dam, a sub-basin belonging to the upper basin of the Río Laja, dating from 1905. It was built for flood control in the city of San Miguel.


Comments are closed

 photo RSMAtnWebAdRed13.jpg
 photo RSMAtnWebAdRed13.jpg
 photo RSMAtnWebAdRed13.jpg

Photo Gallery

Log in | Designed by Gabfire themes All original content on these pages is fingerprinted and certified by Digiprove