Progress in Local Expat Murder Cases
By Atención staff
This week, the District Attorney’s office (Subprocuraduría) talked to Atención about the progress in the murder cases of San Miguel expats that occurred in 2013.
One of the first cases the district attorney’s offices worked that year was that of Canadian artist Marcia Dworkin, in September.
Dworkin who lived in San Miguel for more than 16 years, was assaulted and severely beaten in her home on September 13. She was found unconscious by her maid three days after the incident. The Canadian was attended to at the San Miguel General Hospital and later transferred by air to a hospital in Canada, where she died days later of complications related to the assault. The main investigation line was robbery—a strongbox was stolen.
On this matter, district attorney René Urrutia assured Atención they are working hard with Canadian authorities to resolve this crime and in the weeks to come they will have important information that will lead to closure this crime. According to Urrutia, the case is not related to the case of Canadian Zena Bailys, who was stabbed in Atotonilco in June 2011. The district attorney said that even though they still are working on the case and have made some progress, the investigation is yet to be solved.
Regarding the murder of the American Joyce Hart, who was killed by her adopted daughter, Noemi Corona Hart, in February 2013, Urrutia said the case is closed. The expat community’s support, which provided all the needed information for the localization of Corona, who along with her friend and partner in crime, Marisol Espinosa Pavón, received sentences of 22 years and six months and 18 years with nine months of prison, respectively.
“Citizens must provide all the information they have in order to solve crimes. We need their help. They can make anonymous reports, and they also can be sure that we will protect their personal information. If we work together, we can protect them so they will not be at risk,” Urrutia said.
Another closed case is that of David Simone Cole, an American man murdered and found in a refrigerator in December last year. Urrutia said the case was solved as manslaughter and that the person responsible; Francisco Baruc, compensated the victim’s family. Urrutia made it clear that Baruc and the victim’s relatives signed a private contract in which they did not mention the amount he paid; but they canceled the criminal complaint. Baruc is on conditional release for two years and two months.
“Sanmiguelenses must know that the main objective of the district attorney’s office is to solve these kinds of crimes as soon as we can,” said Urrutia.