Working together for the protection and care of animals
By Christina Miguel
Many members of the current San Miguel de Allende administration have pets in their homes/lives and therefore are among those who care for and are concerned about animals in San Miguel de Allende.
Animal Care & Protection
Tue, 10am, Thu, 6pm
Each Tue at Café Santa Ana, La Biblioteca
Each Thu at Restaurant del Jardín, Portal Allende 2, Umarán, and on Facebook
Thanks to many years of effort, the animal conditions here in San Miguel have improved tremendously. Yet, in life, there is always room for positive progress and improvements.
In the last several months, there have been numerous articles published in the Atención and online regarding the most recent cases of disregard, mistreatment, neglect and abuse in regard to animals and the opportunities for improvement at Ecologia and elsewhere.
The majority of the current administration, the local multicultural NGO/NPOs, businesses, veterinarians, organizations, countless “unsung heroes/heroines” and concerned individuals worldwide are doing all we can to unite, cooperate and collaborate for the common causes and good of all – animals and humans alike.
With recent drastic changes at Ecología, the majority of people have come forward with great passion, concern and a new found enthusiasm to combine and coordinate efforts for protection, sterilization, respectful and compassionate care of animals in San Miguel.
Current priorities are:
1. Working together in collaboration, harmony and cooperation with all animal individuals, groups, organizations, businesses, administrative individuals and offices who work with animals in San Miguel for the protection, respect and compassionate care for animals. Principles before personalities is a useful practice.
If San Miguel de Allende is truly #1 in the World (Conde Nast readers) then we must agree we need to step up our level of overall protection and care of all animals here.
2. Protection, respect and compassionate treatment/care of all animals in San Miguel.
3. Sterilization: Lessen the animal population and it benefits all. Participation in World Spay/Sterilization Day, February 24.
4. Fresh water for dogs community effort
5. Penalties for anyone who violates current regulations/proposals/agreements by community for the protection, respect and care of animals. Additional strict regulations enacted (similar to Guanajuato and Mexico City regulations).
6. Ongoing protection and care of animals in cooperation as a multicultural community. Accountability and action in regard to regulations and additional regulations/proposals/agreements set for by community for the complete protection and care of animals in San Miguel.
In less than a month, Animal Map SMA has welcomed many multicultural and international members. In addition, The Fresh Water for Dogs Community Effort is off to a great start. In less than a month, we now have over 20 new water bowl stations in San Miguel – including at the Municipal Office of the Information Center in the Jardín, TOSMA (Farmer’s Market) and many established, well-loved and respected businesses here in San Miguel.
Animal Map SMA is currently in list form with hopes, in time and with your help, for a virtual visual map and website hub for all things animal in San Miguel. Animal Map SMA also offers free public relations and advertising for all who work and are in service with animals in SMA.
Animal Map SMA https://www.facebook.com/groups/AnimalMapSMA/, a website with all info regarding animals in San Miguel has started at www.kirstenmichel.com/AnimalesSMA.html
Animal Map SMA also has an Indiegogo Campaign at https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/animal-map-sma/x/469109
Many agree, that if we, as a community, can coordinate around the issue of sterilization, there will be fewer animals needing care. In addition – the majority of community members agree that all beings deserve water, food, protection and care.
This is not a political situation, statement and/or cause – it is a spiritual one. Thank you for making a positive difference. The animals thank you!