Traditional Mexican cantinas in San Miguel
Thirsty? Here six Mexican cantinas, the most traditional in of San Miguel, get ready to mingle with Mexicans and foreigners, even Naomi Capmbel, why not?
Zacateros 22 Lun/Mon-Dom/Sun 9pm-3am
It is a classic cantina in town. In 1947, it began operations in the current BANAMEX building. During a Sanmiguelada, even a bull got in to the place. In 2010, a couple of newlyweds abandoned their own party and went to dance at La cucaracha with the white dress and no guests! It is decorated by big paintings such as “La Maja” which was donated to the bar by a war veteran.
El Gato Negro
Mesones 12 Lun/Mon-Dom/Sun 2pm-12am
It dates from 1921, when there was no electricity in the city and the lamps were made with fossil fuel. The owner used to sell hot punch during the dawn and a black cat used to visit the place daily; the name
comes from that situation. The decoration is dedicated to characters of the 80s such as Marilyn Monroe. Actor Damián Alcazar visited this cantina, as did the Mexican popular band MANA.
Mesones 12A Lun/Mon-Dom/Sun 10am-12am
It has been opened for more than 60 years. It has been the perfect scenery for international photo shootings. It is the only place in town where artisanal mezcal made of herbs and fruits such as orange and guava is sold.
Bar el Cucu
This place is also locally known as Dr. Vidargas´ Cantina, because the owner’s brother is a doctor. According to the bartender, a few weeks ago the international top mode, Naomi Campbell visited this centrical, familiar and secure cantina.
La Sirena Gorda
Barranca 78 Lun/Mon-Dom/Sun1pm-1am
It has been operating since 1920 and is one of the oldest in the city. It has the first female bartender (Manuelita). The Ginger Margarita is their most popular drink. Seafood is also offered during the day.
Las Cuatro Milpas
Barranca 42 Vie/Fri- Mié/Wed 2pm-12am
It is the most recent bar in town. According to the owners it is a “handmade place” due to most of the decoration being comprised of old bicycles, glasses, microphones and even radios hanging from its walls were placed by its owner.