Another Auld Lang Syne, My Dears
By Gregory R. Gunter
Old acquaintances were far from forgotten in December as our community did what it does best: rally round the cause! Supporters rallied for local artist Lulu Torbet, snapping up her work in support of Lulu’s ongoing cancer treatments; she was glowing from the outpouring of support. The pooches and pups of SPA felt the love, too; several hand-painted ceramic puppies were adopted, with adoption fees supporting their real brethren back in the kennels. And New York artist Gail Mitchell’s “Crystal Illumiere” installation raised funds for restoration of the Angela Peralta Theater.
What’s a year’s end without the indulgence of indulgent calories? As preparation for the holiday dinners that always stretch the waistline, Hotel Real de Minas hosted 650 ticket holders for their 2nd Festival de Vino Mexicano y Gastronomia, where 43 wine distributors and 35 restaurants plied attendees with their best offerings, all in support of Lucha Maxwell’s Centro de Crecimiento. Diners were later able to work off their calories—whether by dressage or jumping—at Amy Spencer’s weekend equestrian event at Los Senderos.
Haven’t seen your event covered in The Insider’s Edge? Are you ready for your close-up by Mr. DeMille (hey, at least we share the same birthday!)? Atención has 2012 plans to ramp up their coverage of the best fundraisers—and the fun times—in San Miguel, so email your humble social columnist at Greg@AlmaRealtySanMiguel.com with an invitation, and leave a Press Pass at the door!
1. Photographic artist Lulu Torbet found an outpouring of support from Bob Fogelnest and Cati Demme, among hundreds, to raise funds for Lulu’s chemotherapy.
2. S.P.A. fundraising chairwoman Suzy Tatum auctioned off artists pups with Rhonda Lerner, Marie Abercrombie and Beth Rosener.
3. Crystal Illumiere artist Gail Mitchell (second from left) flanked by Cristina and Patricia Gonzalez, Warren & Tuli Hardy, and David Bossman.
4. T.R.U.E. Horsemanship’s Amy Spencer (far right) with fellow equestrian aficionados Jean Gerber, Stefanie Pahlavan and Janis McDonald.
5. Hierbabuena Cocina’s Jen Posner and Chef Gaby Green with lip-licking fans Nancy & Bob Zimmerman at Hotel Real de Minas.
6. Vid Belleza’s Lillian Aviles showcases her grapeseed-extract beauty products for watsu maestra Kaaren Sydney.
7. Hotel Real de Minas always fills their adjacent horse arena with colorful entertainment at events.